Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Weight of Glory.

Today I read The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis. It was so good! I thought I would recommend it to all of you to read! It was full of stuff I feel like God has been showing me lately but worded SO perfectly. C.S. Lewis is an amazing author!

In this essay Lewis talks about why it is okay for us as Christians to long for the reward of heaven. He says we all long for heaven and fill that place with other things, but they at best can only hint at what we really want, what will really satisfy us.

Here is a quote that I loved:

"These things- the beauty, the memory of our own past- are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself, they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited."

He also explains what it means to have "glory" in heaven and the weight that carries even in our day to day life. It affects how we interact with others and encourages us to love our neighbor with a genuine Christlike love. Lewis says that "Next to the Blessed Sacrament itself, your neighbor is the holiest object presented to your senses." That is so powerful!

Anyway, I did a poor job summarizing this but I would encourage you to read it if you haven't! I definitely enjoyed it! :) I'm looking forward to reading his other chapters in the book!

2 comments:

  1. I wanna read it! Can I borrow it after you are done :) Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course honnaay! I read another chapter this morning. Learning in War time. It was good too and something I had been thinking about last term. C.S. Lewis sure has a way with words :) haha.

    ReplyDelete