Monday, May 10, 2010

Love Songs.

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17


Yesterday afternoon I was driving home from a retreat at Shasta Lake and my friend Julia said something that made me think. We were all singing random songs and she said "it's funny how many songs are about love. People are fascinated by it." It's something I had kind of been thinking about recently, and even started blogging about, but got side tracked and never did.

God designed us in such a way that we are drawn to the idea of romance. Practically every song on the radio sings it's praises. Our God is so creative, I wonder how he ever thought of the idea? 1 John 4:8 says that "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." I guess God didn't have to invent love because it was in his very nature. God is the original romantic! The Bible also tells us that we are created in the image of God so it makes sense that we are fascinated by love.

Ebo Elder, the speaker this weekend, talked about a "God shaped hole" that all human beings have and the mistake we all make trying to fill it with things that aren't God. I think love is something that easily and frequently becomes an idol to people, it definitely does for me. It was wonderful this weekend having God remind me, yet again, that his design for love is perfect.

I love how Zephaniah 3:17 says that God quiets us with his love. So true. It's really humbling to have God remind you that you don't know best. Yet he still loves. It absolutely amazes me that God, being the perfect picture of true love, would be so delighted in me! There is a worship song that I really love by Sarah Edwards that says that God is "ravished by my heart". God is ravished by me? That seems so unreal. He has written us the most beautiful love story and he sings over us the sweetest songs.

I could search the earth high and low for the sweetest love song and none could beat this:


"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."

1 John 4:10

God delights in me. He rejoices over me! He pursues us with the most passionate, jealous love. It is an incomparable perfect love! This weekend God humbled me once again and taught me to surrender to his perfect love and wisdom. I'd say that's a pretty wonderful weekend!

Here are some beautiful love songs for you all to enjoy! The first two are by one of my favorite love song singers, Jason Reeves. He sings adorable songs haha. The rest are worship songs that I absolutely love! A few love songs to our wonderful savior!



No comments:

Post a Comment