Monday, May 17, 2010

Wake Up Call.

This morning the Lord woke me up at 3:30. At least I hope it was the Lord, because I certainly didn't want to be awake! I woke up with a verse ringing through my head:

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
James 1:5

I think God put this verse on my heart because I went to bed last night feeling anxious. God woke me up because He wanted me to talk to Him about it and seek His counsel! I don't know that I was very obedient though, I said a quick prayer and rolled over and went back to sleep. Yesterday in church Pastor Rob talked about how God knows our thoughts and how that can lead to a lifestyle of communion with God. I feel like that's something God has definitely been growing in me, but sometimes I still fall short. Today I woke up and honestly had a pretty bad attitude which probably could have been avoided if I had responded to God by listening last night rather than ignoring His call!

Philippians 4:6 says:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

That verse reminds me what it should look like to live a lifestyle of communion with God. I need to be lifting my heart up to Him and waiting expectantly. God said that He would give me wisdom generously and without finding fault. That sounds like a pretty solid promise. I think one reason I didn't take the time to wait on God last night is because I doubted I would hear an answer. The end of that verse God put on my heart says:

"But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does."

James 1:6-8

At the Shasta retreat last weekend my friend Anna and I had a pretty good conversation about worries, we were mulling over the question: "is it a sin to worry?" The conclusion we came to is yes. God tells us not to worry and to cast all our cares on Him! To be anxious about anything that you have put in God's hands is like doubting that God has it under control. It's wrong. The God I serve keeps all of His promises. He has infinite wisdom. And even when He knows I'm going to roll over and ignore Him, He still wakes me up... just to talk. :)

I have never considered myself to be a MercyMe fan... until now. I really like the new album. Here's one of my favorites:



1 comment:

  1. Wow Alexis, such an encouraging word! I actually was reading in Matthew 5 last night and Jesus is talking about worrying. It hit me hard too, and He even says that "who of you by worrying can add a single day to his life?" It's so hard not to worry and yet at the same time it is so pointless because it leads to no fruit! Thank you for sharing this, and I am so glad to see what God is working in you! Keep going strong girl, God will bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete