Sunday, April 11, 2010

Captivated.

The word captivate is defined as: to attract and hold the attention or interest of, as by beauty or excellence; enchant. I love that!

I've been feeling a lot of joy lately! It could be the sun coming out of the clouds again, but I think it's more than that. I've been enjoying God lately. I feel like that definition is just the perfect representation of where I am with God right now. Captivated. It's so beautiful!

Why then, is it so easy to let distraction; that sneaky enemy of mine, creep right into my thoughts? Sometimes the smallest moments of distraction can leave me feeling frustrated and defeated. I end up feeling as though I've forgotten to fear God. After all, how could anything captivate my heart in place of Him?

The Bible tells us to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5). Easier said than done right? Well, a comforting thought is that we have a sympathetic savior who looks at our hearts and knows exactly what we need, even when we don't! I don't ever want to feel like God has to compete for my attention, but I also know that we can't muster up any devotion, it has to come from God. So what do I do when I'm faced with these annoying moments? I pray! And I'm so glad that when I don't have words to pray, God gives them to me! What a faithful God I serve.

Now, I can't say that I've got this "taking every thought captive" thing in the bag, but I can say that God is teaching me how to bring any distractions, worries, or cares to Him. He sees my heart. He knows what I need. He even gives me words to pray. And, finally, he gives me peace. (And joy!) :)


I don't know if you followers like hymns, but I discovered this beautiful one yesterday via my Pandora mix at work! Enjoy! :)
All The Way My Saviour Leads Me by: Chris Tomlin

1 comment:

  1. I loved that Alexis! Especially the "He gives me peace (and joy!)" HA!

    ReplyDelete