Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beyond Comprehension.

"Then Manoah inquired of the angel of the Lord, 'What is your name, so that we may honor you when your word comes true?' He replied, 'Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding.' "

Judges 13: 17-18

I read this passage a while ago, like maybe last week, and when I read it I just had to stop. It was one of those moments when you need to take a second to let it soak in and really think about it. Anyway, yesterday Eva and I were driving home from Eugene and in the car we were listening to some Matt Chandler sermons and it just brought me back to that verse. In the message Matt was talking about the characteristics of who God is. He said that we will often be breathless at the view of the Grand Canyon, but we don't revere the one who created it. He went on to talk about God's glory and beauty. He called God "stunning" and that everything we see here on earth that takes our breath away or brings us to our knees in awe is just one glimpse of one aspect of the original beauty that is God.
Wow. We serve an amazing God.
He also talked about how our language can't extend as far as to describe who God is or how awesome he is.
I love that in this verse we can also translate "beyond understanding" as "It is too wonderful". God is just so beyond anything that we can wrap our minds around. It amazes me.
Just some thoughts I had to share! Heres the link to the sermons if anyone wants to listen! I can't remember the title though!

Also to end here's a song I'm loving lately! (Also thanks to Eva! She is just so influential in my life haha)
"Shadowfeet" By Brooke Fraser

2 comments:

  1. love this Alexis! I love the idea that God is stunning, too wonderful for words. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it!!! :) And I love the song!! You're amazing Alexis!!!!

    ReplyDelete